- 1). Disconnect the Sunfire's negative battery cable with the front wheels facing forward and the ignition switch in the "Lock" position. If the car has air bags, remove the air bag fuse from the fuse box.
- 2). Unscrew and remove the steering column filler panel, and disengage the two yellow air bag connectors and the "Connector Position Assurance" near the bottom of the steering column. This is needed only on cars with air bags.
- 3). Unscrew the three screws on the lower steering column cover and separate the lower from the upper cover, removing the two covers from the column.
- 4). Disconnect the wire harness from the ignition switch.
- 5). Remove the ignition switch's mounting screws with your screwdriver and remove the switch assembly from the steering column.
- 1). Install the replacement ignition switch in position within the steering column and secure it with its two mounting screws. Connect the wiring harness to the switch.
- 2). Reconnect the two covers to the steering column assembly with the screws to the bottom cover.
- 3). Connect the yellow connectors and "Connector Position Assurance" for the air bag if needed and reconnect the steering column filler panel.
- 4). Reconnect the negative battery cable.